Manohla Dargis, NEW YORK TIMES
"A soul-stirring drama… “Middle of Nowhere” carries the imprimatur of Sundance, but without the dreary stereotypes or self-satisfied politics that can at times characterize its offerings. The writer and director Ava DuVernay is after something exquisitely simple: she wants you to look, really look, at her characters. " Click to read full the article.
Kenneth Turan, LOS ANGELES TIMES
"To say that "Middle of Nowhere," winner of Sundance's coveted directing award for writer-director Ava DuVernay, sheds long-overdue light on infrequently explored aspects of African American life is true as far as it goes - but it doesn't go far enough. For the truth is that it is uncommon to see serious adult dramas this moving and accomplished, so attuned to real people and their complex, recognizable emotions, no matter the racial makeup of the characters involved." Click to read full the article.
Sasha Stone, AWARDS DAILY
"Yet another delightful surprise has dropped in the lap of Oscar this year in Ava DuVernay’s Middle of Nowhere. You’ve probably never seen a film like this, I know I never have. DuVernay has crafted vibrant, original, flawed and interesting female characters who are trying to find their own way in life out from underneath the shadow of the men they’ve depended on. The magic in DuVernay’s writing and filmmaking is that it feels like you’re driving down a familiar road but every turn, every stop sign leads to something unexpected. To that end, Middle of Nowhere is revolutionary in its storytelling. It is haunting, unexpected, deeply erotic at times and ultimately the kind of thing that only comes around once in a decade." Click to read the full article.
Karina Longworth, LA WEEKLY
"Like Ruby, DuVernay's film resists easy categorization. Formally, there's a powerful tension between aesthetics and content. Although the director demonstrates a gift for sultry, music-motivated montages, the meat of the movie lies in its daringly long dialogue scenes. The filmmaker's stolid, unblinking eye serves as a sharp contrast to Ruby's impatience to claim the life she has been fantasizing about. The film's naturalistic performances and austere, gray-violet palette misdirect from the fact that much of the material is psychological; the "real" is woven through with heightened flourishes to blur the line between actual and imagined truth. A slow-motion-enhanced kiss scene, with Corinealdi in top I-don't-give-a-fuck strut, is a startling example of DuVernay's ability to conjure drama that at once takes place in a character's head and in a recognizable real world. It's beautifully nuanced and confidently ambiguous—and so is the movie." Click to read the full article.
David Fear, TIMEOUT NEW YORK
"Those of us who head west to Sundance every year and still cling to old-school notions regarding independent cinema—that it can flourish as a forum for alternative viewpoints, that low production values and high-quality storytelling aren’t mutually exclusive, that independent isn’t just a label but also an ethos—often leave Park City experiencing a crisis of faith. But every so often, the festival midwifes a film that reminds us that a sense of discovery still exists on the margins of American moviemaking. Half Nelson, Compliance and Take Shelter are perfect examples; Ava DuVernay’s extraordinary chronicle of a marriage interrupted is another. There’s every reason to think that DuVernay’s tale of a woman trying desperately to stand by her incarcerated man might fall prey to the cloying earnestness and clunky clichés that infect too many Amerindie dramas. But this character study’s refusal to pander by sensationalizing its central social issue skirts such pitfalls with amazing grace; this is humanistic drama done right." Click to read the full article.
Elias Savada, FILM THREAT
"Corinealdi’s absorbing, emotionally-driven performance is just stunning in its simplicity, although all the actors deserve commendation for striking characterizations under DuVernay’s probing, straight-forward direction. There is hope among the broken souls populating the “Middle of Nowhere,” and a heartfelt thank you to Ava DuVernay and her cast and crew for sharing her gem with us. Painful and powerful in its simplicity, it’s a film worth watching more than once for its sheer emotional truths." Click to read the full article.
Jason Bailey, THE ATLANTIC
"DuVernay's direction is stylish but not distracting. She does some subtle, Soderbergh-ian intercutting of scenes to great effect, and adds in touches of magic realism in Ruby's moments alone, as she imagines her absent husband by her side or in her bed. As a storyteller, she has an interesting way of parsing out information without seeming to keep anything from us, and we trust her. Her command of tone is astonishing. The last beat with Derek, for instance, mixes heartbreak and eroticism in a way I've never seen onscreen." Click to read the full article.
- Los Angeles Times | Ava DuVernay No Longer in 'Middle of Nowhere'
- Los Angeles Times | 'Middle of Nowhere' Wins 4 Awards from AAFCA
- The Daily Beast | Lorraine Toussaint on 'Middle of Nowhere'
- The Grio |'Middle of Nowhere' One of 10 Movies to See
- New York Times | 'Middle of Nowhere' One of 10 Best Films of 2012
- The Wrap | Ava DuVernay: No More Complaining
- Entertainment Weekly | 'Middle of Nowhere' One of 25 Need to See Films
- Gold Derby | Ava DuVernay on 'Playing with Caricture' in Sundance Champ 'Middle of Nowhere'
- Playlist | Emayatzy Corinealdi: The Breakout Perfomances of 2012
- New York Times | Emayatzy Corinealdi: A Crowded Red Carpet for Women After Oscar
- Good Day LA | Lorraine Toussaint Discusses Acting and Her Role in 'Middle of Nowhere'
- Backstage | Finding Lorraine Toussaint in the 'Middle of Nowhere'
- Variety | Emayatzy Corinealdi: Growing Up and Breaking Out
- Script | Balls of Steel: Ava DuVernay's 'Middle of Nowhere' Journey... & Screenplay
- Awards Daily | Emayatzy Corinealdi: One of 15 Top Performances of 2012
- The Popcorn Reel | 'Middle of Nowhere' One of the Ten Best Films of 2012
- USA Today | Loyalty, Loneliness in 'Middle of Nowhere'
- The Washington Post | 'Middle of Nowhere' One of Ten best Films of 2012
- Hollywood Elsewhere | Jeff Well Discusses 'Middle of Nowhere'
- Thompson on Hollywood | Oscar Watch: 'Middle of Nowhere'
- Essence | Hot Actor Alert: David Oyelowo
- CocoFab | 'Middle of Nowhere's' Ava DuVernay Opens Up About the Hollywood Shuffle
- Entertainment Weekly | DuVernay, Corinealdi and Toussaint React to Spirit Award Nominations
- Gold Derby | 'Middle of Nowhere' Among Oscar Nomination Predictions
- HitFix | 'Middle of Nowhere' Among Contenders for Best Original Screenplay
- The Hollywood Reporter | 'Middle of Nowhere' Included in the Awards Issue
- Film Misery | Review: 'Middle of Nowhere'
- Vogue | Everyday Wonder: 'Middle of Nowhere's' Quiet Triumph
- American Cinematographer | A Sundance Standout: 'Middle of Nowhere' Shot by Bradford Young
- Hollywood Elsewhere | 'Nowhere' Deserves Everything
- Awards Daily | Ava DuVernay Joins the Original Screenplay Race, Emayatzy Corinealdi for Best Actress
- BET.com | Ava DuVernay: "I Define Myself as a Black Woman Filmmaker and Nothing Else"
- Honolulu Weekly | An African-American couple pay a high price for their dreams in 'Middle of Nowhere'
- Detroit News | Review: DuVernay crafts poignant dram with 'Middle of Nowhere'
- New York Times | MIDDLE OF NOWHERE: Small Pleasures Scattered Amid Struggles
- Los Angeles Times | Deft MIDDLE OF NOWHERE is moving and complex
- Philadelphia Inquirer | MIDDLE OF NOWHERE: A Probing Portrait of a Woman
- Village Voice | Ava DuVernay Looks to the Future of Black Film
- Salon | Will Whites see a black indie flim like 'Middle of Nowhere"?
- The Atlantic | Reclaiming a Tyler Perry Storyline for an Excellent, Sensitive Film
- AV Club | Review: MIDDLE OF NOWHERE
- Philadelphia Weekly | All About Ava: Award-Winning Director Ava DuVernay Has Her Say
- Atlantic Journal Constitution | Ava DuVernay Discussed "Middle of Nowhere'
- FilmThreat | Review: MIDDLE OF NOWHERE
- Film Comment | Review: MIDDLE OF NOWHERE
- I Am Rogue | Exclusive Interview: David Oyelowo Talks "Middle of Nowhere"
- Huffington Post | Review: MIDDLE OF NOWHERE
- Awards Daily | More Raves for 'Middle of Nowhere'
- Awards Daily | Ava DuVernay Joins the Original Screenplay Race, Emayatzy Corinealdi for Best Actress
- Daily News | NYC’s Urbanworld Film Festival puts closeup on a new, cross-cultural segment of the industry
- Juicy Magazine | Emayatzy Corinealdi: Beauty On the Rise
- Juicy Magazine | October Entertainment Guide
- UCLA Magazine | Direct Action
- Fretts on Film | Could 'Middle of Nowhere' Shake Up the Oscar Race?
- Movie City News | TIFF12 Review: Middle of Nowhere
- EW.com | 'Middle of Nowhere" clip: David Oyelowo romances a woman whose husband is in jail
- Wall Street Journal | A Movie Publicist Takes Her Seat in The Publicist Chair
- The Playlist | 10 Potential Breakout Actors of The Fall Film Season
- Backstage | 'MIDDLE OF NOWHERE' Star Emayatzy Corinealdi in her Breakout Leading Role
- Variety | Urbanworld set slate, 'Middle of Nowhere' to close festival
- Los Angeles Times | Roundtable: Julie Delpy, Ava DuVernay and Leslye Headland on directing
- New York Times | "Amazing Child, Typical Grown-Ups" by Manohla Dargis
- Los Angeles Times | Sundance 2012: 'Beasts,' drug war doc win grand jury prizes
- Sundance.org | The Celebrated Drive Composer Offers his Sonic Assessment of the 2012 Dramatic Competition
- The Hollywood Reporter | Review by John DeFore
- Los Angeles Times | Meaty Roles for Black Actors in MIDDLE OF NOWHERE
- Deadline Hollywood | Sundance Lucky 13
- Thompson on Hollywood | LAFF: 'Middle of Nowhere' Gets Two Standing Ovations; DuVernay & Cast Talk Black Films Reaching Audiences In A Meaningful Way
- Film School Rejects | LAFF 2012 Review: Find Beauty and Hope in ‘Middle of Nowhere’ Thanks to a Touching Story Highlighted by Stunning Performances
- Los Angeles Times | On Location: 'Middle of Nowhere' finds love in South-Central L.A.
- New York Times | He’s Just a ‘Custodian of the Moment’: Bradford Young, Cinematographer for ‘Middle of Nowhere
- Wall Street Journal | "What Sundance is Really Like" by Ava DuVernay
- Filmmaker Magazine | Four Questions with Writer/Director Ava DuVernay
- IndieWire | Sundance 2012 Success Story: Ava DuVernay
- Huffington Post | Sundance 2012: Ava DuVernay Becomes First Black Woman to Win Best Director Prize
- Ebony | Director Makes Sundance History
- Essence | Ava DuVernay Wins Directing Award at Sundance Film Festival
- The Root | Ava DuVernay Wins Best Director at Sundance
- BET.COM | Ava DuVernay wins Best Director for MIDDLE OF NOWHERE
- Electronic Urban Report | Ava DuVernay’s History Making Turn at Sundance: Wins Dramatic Directing Award
- News One | Straight Outta Compton: Ava Makes Black History at Sundance!
- Black Enterprise | Ava DuVernay Becomes The First Black Woman To Win Best Director at Sundance
- Colorlines | Ava DuVernay Becomes First Black Woman To Win Best Director at Sundance
- The Wave Newspapers | MIDDLE OF NOWHERE director Ava DuVernay honored at Sundance
- R Weekly | Ava DuVernay Scores Historic Win at Sundance for ‘Middle of Nowhere
- Variety | “Participant Media and AFFRM Acquire U.S. Theatrical Rights to 2012 Sundance Selection MIDDLE OF NOWHERE” by Jeff Sneider
- The Hollywood Reporter | “Participant Media and AFFRM Acquire U.S. Theatrical Rights to 2012 Sundance Selection MIDDLE OF NOWHERE”, by Borys Kit
- IndieWire | “Participant Media and AFFRM Acquire U.S. Theatrical Rights to 2012 Sundance Selection MIDDLE OF NOWHERE,” by Peter Knegt
- Deadline Hollywood | “Participant Media and AFFRM Acquire U.S. Theatrical Rights to 2012 Sundance Selection MIDDLE OF NOWHERE” by Mike Fleming
- Movie City News | “Participant Media and AFFRM Acquire U.S. Theatrical Rights to 2012 Sundance Selection MIDDLE OF NOWHERE” by Ray Pride
- Movieline | "Sundance 2012 Pick Ups Headed to a Theater Near You"